Short Portfolio >
Sara Teramo aka CONCEPTSARA - CV
Character Design, Concept Art and Pitch Creation
MULTIDISCIPLINARY CREATIVE from Italy with unrestricted right to work both in the UK and the EU
Character and Concept Designer - with previous experience in Graphic and Product Design
MAIN SKILLS Creative Character Design, Concept Art, Concept Design, Visual Development, Sketching, Digital Painting, Illustration
EXTRA SKILLS Graphic Design, Reference Research, Moodboards, Pitch Design and Presentation, Promotional Artwork, Storyboarding
Recent Experience - Character Design, Visual Development, Creative Consulting
● FREELANCE CHARACTER DESIGNER, CONCEPT ARTIST and ILLUSTRATOR for ANIMATION, GAMES and BOOKS - London
January 2019 - Present
Usual Tasks: Brief Analysis, Brainstorming, Research, References Collection, Moodboards Preparation, Exploratory Sketches, Iterations, Character Sheets, Visual Development, Colourways, Costuming, Material Call-outs, 3D Overpaints, Feedback Implementation, Painted Renders, Pitch Design, Model Packs and Story Bible Preparation to inform the work of everyone along the production pipeline: 3D modelers, riggers, animators, texture and VFX artists.
I work in house or remotely from my office in central London, equipped with the latest Cintiq, iPad and VR headsets. I have specialized in Character Design for Animation, while I also do Editorial and Book Illustration, Costume Illustration for Theatre and Film and Assets and Design for Video Games.
Moreover, I am a volunteer leading creative workshops and activities in London's museums for the mental health charity Mind and the Tate galleries.
I’m also writing and illustrating a children's book for a new editor, and I’m putting together a team for a short film of which, I’m also writing the script.
● WORK EXPERIENCE at INDUSTRIAL LIGHT & MAGIC - ILM - London
I was one of the two work experiences welcomed at ILM London in May 2019. It was an intense work-shadowing placement and a unique perspective in the Film and TV pipelines of projects under the Star Wars and other Disney IPs.
I was especially delighted to receive insights on CHARACTER DESIGN, CONCEPT ART and VISUAL RESEARCH directly from Concept Artists within the prestigious ILM's Art Department!
● CHARACTER CONCEPT ART SECONDEE at FRAMESTORE - London
June 2017 - December 2018
I decided to specialize further in character design and concept art, so I secured a position in the competitive Framestore’s runners’ development program.
I helped both the Films and the Integrated Advertising departments with dedication and also became a Staff Awards Winner (Autumn 2017).
I had the chance to work directly with Framestore’s Creative Directors and deliver Character Concept Sketches and Illustrations for Pitches. I could demonstrate creative initiative as well as teamwork and the ability to follow instructions and meet tight deadlines, winning Design Credits like the Funding Circle ad that aired on TV and was on placards nationwide.
Framestore also offered me specialist courses in Character Design and Concept Art at Escape Studios and internal workshops in Cinematography, Presentation Skills, Human Anatomy, Animal Anatomy and Sculpting.
Previous career - Graphic Design and Product Design
● LEAD SENIOR DESIGNER/ART DIRECTOR and ILLUSTRATOR at JFDP Labs and Madrugaworks - London
March 2014 - April 2017
I was the in-house Art Director and Designer responsible for the 2D Art, Graphic Design, UI and Pitch Presentations for the companies' Apps, Video Games, VR and XR projects. Our creative apps were bought by Samsung, and our games were best sellers on Steam. I was also commissioned to paint character design inspired murals to decorate our company premises.
● FREELANCE DESIGNER and ILLUSTRATOR for Theatre and Advertising - London, New York and Berlin
February 2010- March 2014I'm especially proud of the advertising campaign I designed and executed for The Royal Albert Hall in London, and of getting my hands dirty with actual set design at Sets By Sara in New York, as well as working for FEZ Berlin, Europe’s biggest youth theater.
● DESIGN Intern at KARIM RASHID Inc NEW YORK - New York
August 2009 – January 2010Within this award-winning Design Studio team, we developed high-end product designs pitches for international manufacturers and several of my designs were selected for production worldwide.
● DESIGNER and ILLUSTRATOR for Interior, Product and Fashion Design Studios - Berlin
Sept 2005 – July 2009
Some studios I worked with: COORDINATION Interior Design, MARTINI, MAYER Product Design, BLESS Fashion, ACUD theatre
Sara Teramo CV - London 2023 - End of page 1 of 2
SPECIALIZATION COURSES in CHARACTER DESIGN, VISUAL DEVELOPMENT, CONCEPT ART and ILLUSTRATION
● CHARACTER DESIGN PRO and CONCEPT ART at ESCAPE STUDIOS Pearson College London, UK
in-person in London - Certified Courses and Workshops
With Andrea Torrejon (Disney TV, Rovio) and other top industry professionals
● CHARACTER DESIGN for Games and Animation at CAL ARTS California Institute of the Arts, US
online - Specialization Course with Certificate
Led by Fran Krause with A. Ristaino (Cartoon Network), J. K. Jiang (Disney) and Robertryan Cory (Cartoon Network and Disney +)
● CHARACTER DESIGN for Animated Feature Films ‘Collaging Life’ at VIEW CONFERENCE in Turin, IT
in Person in Turin - Intimate Workshop
With Deanna Marsigliese (Disney - Pixar Feature Character Art Director)
● CHARACTER DESIGN, CONCEPT ART, VISUAL DEVELOPMENT for Animation at La Galeria Roja Center for Art Studies and Gallery, Spain
online - Small and Interactive Online Lessons and Workshops
With Sam Nassour (Disney, Netflix, Nexus Studios, Blue Zoo) and James A. Castillo (Sony, Illumination, Passion Pictures, Axis)
● CHARACTER CONCEPT ART and ILLUSTRATION for Film at La Galeria Roja Center for Art Studies and Gallery, Spain
in-person in Seville - Intimate Atelier Workshop with Certificate
With lead Marvel Concept Artist Karla Ortiz (Marvel, ILM, Ubisoft, etc.)
● CHARACTER DESIGN, CONCEPT ART, VISUAL DEVELOPMENT and STORY for Animated Feature Films at Schoolism Digital Art School
in-person in Europe and online - Live Workshops and Specialisation Courses
With Arriaga (Disney, Pixar), Ying (Disney), Loish (Guerrilla Games, Lego), Del Carmen (Disney, Dreamworks, Sony) and many more
● ILLUSTRATION and VISUAL STORYTELLING for the Editorial and Publishing Industry at SVA NYC School of Visual Art New York, US
in-person in New York - International Studio Residency with Final Public Exhibition in Manhattan
With Creative Director Paul Buckley (Penguin), Artist Viktor Koen (NYTimes, Wall Street Journal), Artist Andrea Tsurumi (NYTimes)
● CHARACTER DESIGN and STORYBOARDING for Animation at Aardman Academy Industry Training by Aardman Animations, UK
online - Live Course via Zoom
With Sylvia Bull (Titan Comics, Aardman) and Sam Norton (Blue Zoo, Funko, Aardman)
● COSTUME DESIGN, SET DESIGN and STORYBOARDING for Theater and Film at UAL Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London, UK
in-person in London - Professional Courses with Certificates
With Gary Thorne (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art - RADA) and Stephen Brown (The Royal College of Art - RCA)
UNIVERSITY DEGREE - ART and DESIGN
● Design MA at Berlin University of the Arts, UdK Universität der Künste, the most selective University in Germany
in-person in Berlin - Design and Applied Arts Master Degree curriculum
● Design Exchange Student at University of the Arts London UAL, Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
in-person in London - Product Design University curriculum, bursary winner
● Design BA equivalent at Polytechnic University of Milan, Politecnico di Milano
in-person in Milan - Industrial Design and Visual Communication University curriculum
PRIMARY SOFTWARE - 2D ART and DESIGN
● 2D Art, Design and Presentation Expert-Level Adobe Creative Cloud Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc. on PC and Cintiq (15+ years)
● 2D Art, Sketches and Concepts Expert-Level Procreate on iPad Pro (4+ years)
● VR Art Basic-Level Quill and Oculus Medium
● 3D, primarily as a base for 2D Art and Overpainting Basic-Level Maya, Sketch Up and Beginner-level Blender, Zbrush, Unity and Unreal.
● INTERNAL & EXTERNAL PRESENTATIONS High-Level Powerpoint, Keynote, Slides and Wix editor.
● VIDEO EDITING Basic-Level Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, iMovie, Video Editor
● MANAGEMENT TOOLS High-Level Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Teams etc., MS Office Word, Excel, etc., Trello, Slack, Discord
plus Medium-Level Perforce and Beginner-Level Shotgun.
Sara Teramo CV - London 2023 - End of page 2 of 2